Tuesday, March 23, 2010

OFF THE SUBJECT



I went to heaven this week. My idea of heaven anyway, without Hugh Jackman, Johhny Depp, Phil Keoghan (the amazing race) or Anderson Cooper. (I know, I know....only in my dreams!) But they are my dreams. I went to a place that totally transformed my constant frown into a wonderful, blissful and sometimes a bit tipsy smile. It was, dare I say, heavenly. Even my voices were a little quieter, they enjoyed it every bit as much as I did, they told me so. Not very many things do that for me. My husband, even though he tries always. My kids and granddaughter usually always make me smile. But only for a short moment in time, then reality comes crashing back. The frown returns, only to deepen a bit more. By now, you should be asking: where is this magical place? How can I get there? Can I stay? Is it really, truly heaven?

The Davenport Hotel in Spokane, Washington. Yes, I said Spokane. They call it The Davenport, I call it a piece of heaven. From the first moment I walked into the lobby I was awestruck.



I am sure that I saw the front desk staff smile and roll their eyes, knowing that they had another devoted fan. I was amazed how much a country bumpkin I felt walking in the front door. The staff was perfectly behaved, never letting on that they knew I was in love. It was like a magical spell had been cast upon me. From the valet parking to the room service everything was perfect.



Did I mention The Peacock room? The picture does not do it justice. The entire ceiling is stained glass. A beautiful, beautiful colorful peacock. That's where I discovered the strawberry lemon drop martini, which is now my number one favorite adult beverage.



I spent three wonderful days there, not only in The Peacock room, but the lobby, mezzanine, our room. Did I mention the bed, the famous Davenport Bed?? It was unbelievebly cloudlike. So soft, very, very comfy. For a couple of days I pretty much did nothing. It was the first time in a long time that I can remember doing nothing. Bubbble baths, walk in the park, cozy chats by the fireplace and even got a pedicure. Even my husband commented on the return of my smile.



After arriving home (sadly) and sleeping in my own bed again, I realized something. My bed sucks! Right then and there I decide that I could transform my bedroom into that wonderful piece of heaven I just left. Color, lights, fabric, smells, all of it. I was transported by all of these things, all of my distractions lessened, my reality a little farther away. Don't get me wrong, I love my home, family, dogs, etc., but occasionally a girl needs to feel like royality. Goddess like, pampered. This is my goal, my destiny. To transform my bedroom....a close resemblence of that magical place. There I said it!

NOW TO THE ORGANIZING PART

Every corner of the room needs to be reworked. Color, smells, bedding. As I review the room, my thoughts are raise the bed (just like the famous one), add softness (just like the famous one), new bedding, rugs, lights and curtains. I bought bed raisers, they lifted the bed about six inches. Then I put a new memory foam topper of four inches on top. This made the bed about 12 inches up. The problem with this was it made getting into bed a challenge. They had a foot stool at the hotel....hmmmm. So I removed the raisers, now the bed is just the right height.
The next challenge is bedding. When moving in, I hurriedly picked out colors that I liked. My bedding was white at the time. Now, I an finding, unless I stay with white (did I mention I have three dogs?), that these colors are very hard to color coordinate with another color. Three of the walls are a soft gray/lavendar, the fourth wall is a dark purple. This makes my choices limited to black (again the dogs, white dogs), gray (blah!), chocolate (not so in love with this), or silver. I am pulling toward silvery. Is this too brazen? Trashy? Tacky? If I can't find compatible bedding, then I am afraid it will be changing the wall color. That may be an idea. I doubt my husband will see it that way, he has no problem with the white bedding and the white dogs.



I have decided that this task can be accomplished, and the room transformed by dusting, cleaning out, sorting and fluffing everything that can be. Add some new bedding, rugs and candles to make it soft, opulent, luxurious, magical as it can be. Oh yes, magical can be had. An escape from reality if only briefly, and only in my mind with my voices. Tranforming a room, your life, attitude, whatever it is, is more than a physical process. It is everybit a mental one too. A renewal of sorts. You have to let go of the crap that is associated with it, an exorism of sorts. Those demons, past and present, have to be purged from your soul and the room. I have to own the room! Or the crap, attitude...yeah, yeah. Let go of it all, at least for a while. Relax, breathe, repeat. Create one place I can go and smile.
So on with the task. Organize, clear, calm the voices. Until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment